Saturday 24 March 2012

Orvis Battenkill 704

          I guess that I have to start with my own (and only) split cane rod. It's an Orvis Battenkill 704 (7' weight #4 in three pieces with two tips).


All the pieces of this wonderful rod

The three pieces of the rod

Lovely handle with a sliding ring uplock reel holder

Nice fly holder that won't damage full hackled dry flies

Very slim tips makes it a good rod for tiny flies

          A lovely rod made by Orvis. Unfortunately I think it's out of production now. Not found on their web site at least. Finally the first rod presented and I promise there will come more.


Have fun fly fishing with split cane masterpieces,
M.O.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Mats,
    Beautiful rod, you put on show. Now, lets see some more posts with a few fish putting a bend in your rod.
    Regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey how, nice photos of a very nice rod. I have 1 cane rod myself, though its not as nice as your Orvis, though its not too bad.
    A friend of mine gave me a Headwaters Santiam 7' 4wt 2pc 2tip. It doesn't have the legacy & reputation of the Orvis Battenkill, but the headwaters gets the job done.

    I'm thinking about rebuilding a basket case over the winter......Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan!

    I've completely missed your comment. Sorry for that. For some reason that I don't understand the comments on this blog comes to an e-mail address that I seldom use. Thanks for your comment! I've been too absorbed by the "tiny flies" blog so I've missed out on the others. Will try to improve in this regard.

    Best wishes,
    Mats Olsson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi DRYFLYGUY!

    Just noticed your comment. Sorry for the delay for which I explained the reason in my response to Alan. Thanks for your comment! I really like split cane rods. As with all natural material it has something that other materials doesn't. Be it to make fly rods or tying flies. It's not the same with synthetic materials. This year I really will give the Battenkill a thorough use. Lets see how it turns out.

    Kind regards,
    Mats Olsson

    ReplyDelete